Friday, March 8, 2013

Video Blog Module 6


1.    For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
-       -The first video I didn’t realize that limestone needed to stay at a certain temperature. I also didn’t realize that sculptures never sculpted a full statue, but only small parts. I found it interesting that the limestone could be bad, and if it wasn’t sound then you shouldn’t use it to sculpt.The second video I never knew that chemicals were added to sand to make glass, I was always under the impression that it was formed from sand alone. I also found stain glass windows to be very interesting. I was not aware that stain glass was such a process, from studying the light of a room, to dying the glass and piecing it all together. I also thought it was interesting with ceramics that glazing is what water proofs a piece, for some reason I always thought glazing was the color. With the third video, I learned that each space is specific to an instillation, I was no aware that space sound quality and lighting were major factors in picking the right space for the right work.
1.     How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
- I felt  like these videos related to the text by going along with the theme of crafts and instillation. I feel like the movies gave more of an in-depth example than the book did. It’s one thing to read about it but more to actually see it be done.
2.    What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics: Sculpture, Installation, and Craft?
- I feel that the films add a better understanding in telling the history and also showing how each craft works and showing the process of how glass is manipulated and formed. I liked the visual aspect and interviews, they helped me understand each subject better, and have a better understanding of each process.

1 comment: